Europe accounted for two thirds of the world-wide newly installed photovoltaic (PV) capacity in 2011, with 18.5 GW. Its overall PV capacity totalled 52 GW. The yearly electricity produced by PV could power a country with the electricity demand of Austria, which corresponds to 2% of the EU’s electricity needs.
Last 5 posts in Science Updates
- Artificial forest for solar water-splitting: First fully integrated artificial photosynthesis nanosystem - May 16th, 2013
- Significant improvement in performance of solar-powered hydrogen generation - May 15th, 2013
- Solar panels as inexpensive as paint? - May 13th, 2013
- 'Power plants': How to harvest electricity directly from plants - May 9th, 2013
- Value in concentrating solar power to add to electric grid calculated - May 7th, 2013