Pink Tentacle has an article taken from a Japanese site that claims a reseach team at the Tokyo Institute of Technology is developing a ” world’s first plastic motor powered solely and directly by light.” They’re saying there’s no need for solar power accessories when using this technology. The plastic they’re working with contains azobenzene which when “exposed to ultraviolet light and resume its original shape when exposed to visible light.”
They want the material to be used in motors that convert light directly into motion.
I hope they also find a way to make “benzene” non-toxic while they’re at it.
Article about the interesting but maybe life threatening shape-shifting plastic here at Pink Tentacle
Last 5 posts in Solar Buzz
- Simple Solar Cooker From Pizza Box - March 4th, 2013
- Jobs In Solar: Energy Sales, Entry-Mid Level ($20-60K) (Orange County C) - February 5th, 2013
- DIY: Cleaning Your Solar Panels - January 21st, 2013
- Using the Spectrum to Improve Solar Efficiency - December 29th, 2012
- Fun Educational Solar Transformer Toy - December 28th, 2012