If you are looking for a new solar installation, you may be wondering if there is room for negotiation. Solar companies negotiate their prices, but not all negotiate in the same way.
So how do you know if you can get a better deal? Let’s take a look at how solar companies negotiate with their customers and how you can get the best deal possible.
Companies expect price negotiation
Negotiation is part of every business transaction. Solar companies are in business because they want to make money. They know how important it is to them to give you the best possible price for every job they do.
Buying solar panels means investing thousands of dollars from the family budget. It’s a huge sacrifice, and solar companies know it.
That’s why they are ready to negotiate prices with you. This is also why they are ready to offer incentives such as price reductions or additional services added to your agreement.
Contractors expect potential customers to search for the best quote. They know it’s part of the process. You don’t have to be shy about asking for a better price or including other services in your contract. It’s just business!
How to obtain a quote
Getting a quote for installing solar panels is a great first step in the process of going solar. Here are some tips for getting the most out of your quote:
- Ask for a cost breakdown. Many companies provide you with a price breakdown, which will allow you to see exactly what is included in the price and what is not.
- Ask about incentives and discounts. Some states offer tax credits or other incentives for installing solar panels, so be sure to research the types of incentives that might be available in your area.
- Examine financing options. If you can’t afford the upfront cost of installing solar panels, there are many financing options that can help spread your payments over time while allowing you to realize significant savings on bills over time. of energy.
Where to get a quote
To know the estimated cost of your project, you must obtain a quote. If a company doesn’t give you a quote, it’s not taking your project seriously.
Residential companies that give solar quotes generally fall into three categories:
- General contractors perform a variety of work on homes, including installing solar panels.
- Approved solar company contractors specializing in the installation of solar panel systems only.
- Licensed solar energy companies that have direct access to preferred manufacturers and contractors.
If you are looking to install solar panels on your home, a general contractor can help.
Typically, they won’t give you a cost estimate for the project until they’ve surveyed your property and discussed with you the type of solar system you want. But some contractors can provide a rough estimate before seeing the space.
Some may be able to work with you to reduce the price to meet your budget. They know how much the work costs and can help you find a way to pay for it by adjusting the scope of the project.
However, if you are not using a contractor who regularly installs solar products, the price for this service may not be competitive. And if they don’t have dealership relationships, general contractors may not receive special pricing and you won’t get any savings.
Keep in mind that not all general contractors are certified as installers or have experience installing solar panels, so it’s important to do your research to find someone who knows. what he does before committing to hire him for your project.
You should also ask them if they have any references from other customers who have had solar systems installed by them.
Read more: Are solar companies paying for a new roof?
Solar Company Approved Contractors
Contractors specializing specifically in solar panels may be able to give you a better price than general contractors and big-box retailers.
The Solar Energy Industries Association has a list of certified solar installers in your state. Not all states require solar companies and installers to be licensed, so it’s important to do your research before choosing an installer.
You can also check with local utility companies to see if they offer incentives to switch to solar power. While you’re at it, see if these utility companies have any recommendations for contractors.
Approved contractors receive attractive offers from solar companies to install solar panels for their customers. If you’re looking to save money on your solar installation, ask about discounts for using a licensed contractor.
Read more: Best direction for solar panels
Approved solar companies
If you are looking for solar panels and/or a whole house solar system, authorized solar dealers have access to better prices than installers and homeowners.
This is because the manufacturers like to work with them and offer them lower prices on the products. After all, they have a better understanding of the market and the needs of their customers.
They can then pass these savings on to their customers by offering lower rates for their services and installation costs.
Even if you are not eligible for incentives or tax credits from the government, they might still be able to negotiate a better deal than what is listed on their website or in newspapers and magazines.
They have established relationships with subcontractors who know how to install their products.
Negotiate for a better price on the solar installation
Negotiating the best price involves doing your homework and knowing your needs. You should be able to get a good idea of the average cost in your area.
Use a tool like Sunroof Project to determine how much money you could save based on your location and the number of solar panels you could add to your home. This gives you a basis to work from during negotiations with the company you are going to work with.
If you can find out how much solar companies charge their customers who qualify for incentives or tax credits, it will give you a better idea of what they are willing to trade.
You should also contact at least two or three companies so that you can compare their prices and find the right one for you.
Getting multiple quotes from solar companies will give you an idea of their rates and locations. You can then negotiate with those closest to your budget.
Read more: Advantages and disadvantages of renting solar panels
Here are some tips for staying on track when negotiating solar power.
- Be ready to negotiate. Solar energy is a commodity and you can expect prices to fluctuate with market conditions. Your sales rep will likely try to convince you that their company’s rates are the lowest available in your area, but that’s not always the case.
- Request a written quote. That way, if negotiations don’t go as planned, you’ll have something on paper that shows what was offered and accepted by both parties.
- Do your research. If you are unfamiliar with solar energy and how it works, ask questions. The more informed you are about the process, the better equipped you will be to negotiate effectively.
- Ask for a list of references. This will give you an idea of what other customers have paid in similar situations and help you determine whether the offer presented is fair or not.
Negotiating your solar panel purchase can help you get the best price without sacrificing quality. They want to profit from their products. If they lose your interest by being inflexible with prices, you could go elsewhere and leave them without any profit.
Negotiation is such an important part of doing business that even if you think you’re not good at it, you should still give it a try! You’ll likely get better deals, which means you can use that money to build up your savings or invest in other projects.